The 9th edition of the biannual Top 200 Ministry Blogs is out!
We’ve received great feedback on how to improve the list, and we’ve made a few tweaks to improve the quality and reduce confusion.
- We changed the name from “church blogs” to “ministry blogs” for clarification.
- We more clearly defined what a ministry blog is: “A ministry blog nurtures or challenges the way ministers think about the gospel, the Great commission, ministry methodology, and the cultures they are called to reach. It is a bit more than just a faith blog or one that explores how to live a good Christian life.”
- We added the following criteria: “To qualify, each ministry blog must also have published sometime within the last 3 months, be considered a blog, have an Alexa rank of <5,000,000, and be classified as Protestant, Anglican, Roman Catholic, or Orthodox.”
- We weeded out the blogs previously ranked that do not meet the above criteria.
- We switched to a weighted scale for Google Pagerank. A weighted value of 15 is given to each blog as their rank (i.e., PR7 = 0, PR6 = 15, PR5 = 30, PR4 = 45, etc.). This approach gives more stable and consistent rankings, since most blogs have a pagerank of 3 or 4 now do to 2012?s Google Penguin reducing the number of blogs with pagerank of 5 or better and due to the growth of this list naturally weeding out most blogs with pagerank of 2 or less.
- We switched to sequential rankings (e.g., rank = 1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7) rather than true rankings (e.g., rank = 1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9) for Alexa Rank and Compete Visitors whenever multiple blogs are hosted on the same domain. This approach is used due to the increasing number of blogs being hosted on sites like Patheos and The Gospel Coalition, which Alexa and Compete measure as the value for the entire site rather than the blog’s url. While this approach doesn’t prevent blogs hosted on larger sites from having favorably skewed results, it does dramatically reduce these blogs from unfavorably skewing the results of other blogs (i.e., Patheos occupies only 1 rank value rather than 27 rank values).