My advice is speak from your heart and be honest. Accentuate on the positives, and if there aren’t any, maybe you shouldn’t say anything at all. If I was a new pastor, some things I would love to hear are:
- We are glad you are here.
- We support you.
- This is exciting!
- Is there anything we can do to help you?
- Do you have any questions?
- Thank you for coming to serve our church.
Remember that there is power in whatever words you choose to say. As Proverbs 18:21 (The Message) says, “Words kill, words give life; they’re either poison or fruit – you choose.” I recommend using this opportunity to give your new pastor heartfelt support and encouragement.
– Do you have any tips on giving a welcome speech to a new pastor?
If you have a question you want Church Relevance to answer, submit it via our Q+A form.